Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Laboring on Labor Day

The best part of Labor Day is the extra day to sleep in before getting back into the school schedule that doesn't allow sleeping in!

We did a little shopping in the morning before heading to the in-laws to help restore their yard after their big remodel/new addition. (a little sidenote- we were the only ones on time for the designated 1:00 PM starting time!! This includes the in-laws whose house we were at!)

The men dug trenches for the new sprinklers, the kids picked up concrete pieces and old nails. I was amazed at what good workers the little kids were- I shouldn't be too surprised because they come from my sister-in-law, who is an amazingly hard worker. Speaking of this hard worker, she hung pictures, put vinyl on the wall, and even put in a doorknob and dead bolt!! Girl Power!!

I wish my camera on my Blackberry would cooperate. I had some awesome photos, but it said the file card was full. Which is not true, I even deleted 10 pictures hoping to get them to save....I had pictures of "Wes-man" helping dig the trenches. "B-Tone" picking up concrete with Jordan. "Garre-Bear" holding a garbage bag for Grandpa. " "Little Miss Ballerina" & "Izzie" also picking up concrete pieces with Chloe.

After the guys had worked for many hours it was time for a yummy feast from Grandma. She promised the men some steaks or chicken in exchange for hard work. And a feast she delivered, complete with fruit, chips, salads, corn on the cob, & more!!!

The remodel/addition is really nice! The nice part is that they even added a ramp in the back. Totally unexpected, but much appreciated from me! We even had a ribbon cutting ceremony, which I firmly resisted at first, but I'm so glad I went along with it because when Grandpa cut the first ribbon on the entry side the kids went wild with cheers! It was adorable! And then the kids went wild again with cheers when I cut the ribbon to the ramp! Very cute!

I'm excited to go to the holiday parties and especially the super bowl party with their big screen tv. The family room is big and spacious with enough room for all of us & best of all no more going downstairs, a plus for me!! The only downside is that I wish all of the cousins could be together. My kids have so much fun with the cousins- I have so much fun watching the cousins!! I miss the DeVoogd's and Omaha Roblyers, and New York Roblyers! Can't wait til the 2011 reunion, where we'll all be reunited!

I forgot to mention the highlights of my day- playing with "Baby B". She is so stinkin' cute!! She even took a catnap in my arms. Awwwww! "Izzie" entertaining me & Chloe. She was deleriously tired and cracking us up with her antics! "Garre-bear" kidnapping me in my wheelchair. As he took the brakes off he said, "Are you ready to go for a ride, DeeAnna?" Accompanied by his mischevious giggle! I was only truly terrified for a minute when he almost steered me into one of the trenches, where my knight in shining armor (Matthew) came to the rescue!

Family is what makes these holidays so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment